Thimphu


Tashicho Dzong

Tashichhoe Dzong

Location

Located on the bank of the Wangchu River in the Hejo village.

Background

Tashicho Dzong was built in 1641 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and enlarged in 1694 by Gyalse Tenzin Rabgay.  It was entirely rebuilt under the command of Third King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck in 1962. Today, the dzong is the seat of the central government, His Majesty the King’s office, and the summer residence of the Central Monastic Body.


Semtokha Dzong

Simtokha Dzong

Location

Located around 5 km south of Thimphu town.

Background

The oldest dzong in Bhutan built by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal in 1629, it is believed to have been built over a stone onto which Zhabdrung Rinpoche pinned down a demon and subdued it. The dzong contains the bed chambers of Zhabdrung and Desi Jigme Namgyal, the father of the first King of Bhutan. Formally known as Sanga Zabdon Phodrang (Palace of the Profound Meaning of Secret Mantras), the dzong contains many sacred relics.


Changangkha Lhakhang

Changangkha Lhakhang

Location

Located in Changangkha overlooking the heart of Thimphu city.

Background

The temple was built by Nyima in the 12th century at the site chosen by his father, Phajo Drugom Zhigpo. The temple houses, among others, a copper statue of Tandin (Hayagriva), Phajo Drugom Zhigpo and his consort Khandro Sonam Pelden. This temple is considered the guardian of all children born in the Thimphu valley.  

 

Cheri Monastery

Cheri Monastery

Location

Located in the north of Thimphu valley, half an hour’s drive to Dodena and forty-five minutes’ walk from the road end.

Background

The monastery was founded by the founder of the Bhutanese nation state, Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. It is among the most sacred monasteries in Bhutan blessed by many eminent saints. It consists of four temples - Kudung Lhakhang, Jokhang (temple of Jowo), Namsey Lhakhang , and Duethrul Lhakhang. The main relic of the temple is a choeten the remains of Zhabdrung’s father, Tenpi Nyima, and a Zhabdrung’s statue sculpted by Zhabdrung himself.


National Memorial Choeten

Memorial Choeten

Location

Located in the heart of Thimphu city.

Background

It was built by in 1974 by Her Majesty the Queen Mother Ashi Phuntsho Choden in memory of her son, Third King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck. The three-storey choeten houses several relics such as Phurba Lhatshog, Kagay, Khrowo Nampur Gyalwa, Guru Tshengye, and Khenlop Chesum. The choeten is today the spiritual nerve centre of the city.


Tango Monastery

Tango monastery

Location

Located north of Thimphu opposite Cheri Monastery, approximately 14 km drive from Thimphu and 40 minutes’ walk from the road point.

Background

The monastery’s name honours Phajo Drugom Zhigpo’s meeting with the horse-headed deity Tandin (Hayagriva) who prophesied that Phajo would help the teachings of Drukpa Kagyu flourish in Bhutan.  The monastery was visited by many great masters and it contains many sacred relics. The monastery today houses the College of Buddhist Studies.